1. No, your belt doesn’t need to match your shoes. While some may disagree, many women have been ignoring this “myth” for years. An all black outfit with a black belt and brown shoes will look great if you break up the contrast with a great sports coat or jacket.
• Banana Republic Men’s Versatile Black Harness Belt: http://rstyle.me/hdaz36cypw ($45)
• Boss Black Hankie Dress Wingtips: http://rstyle.me/fm945kcypw ($225)
2. No, you shouldn’t button the last button on a blazer, vest, or cardigan. Buttoning the last button makes the garment stretch and look ill fitting.
• EXPRESS Mens Cable Knit Shawl Collar Cardigan Sweater Officer Blue: http://rstyle.me/h83vhmcypw ($88)
3. Yes, denim on denim is very acceptable. The key to this look is to make sure that all pieces are a different shade.
• Banana Republic Slim Fit Denim Shirt: http://rstyle.me/hzx5g9cypw ($64.50)
• Levi’s 511 Slim Fit Jeans: http://rstyle.me/hqtvtgcypw ($58)
4. No, you should not be a walking billboard for your favorite brand. Huge logos all over your shirt and pants are never a good idea. If you’re a recovering logo-holic, try a Burberry plaid shirt for a more subtle version of logo-mania.
• Burberry Long Sleeved Large Nova Check Shirt: http://rstyle.me/f962secypw ($115)
5. Yes, you can wear white shoes with a black outfit. If you stick to darker tops and bottoms, the white shoes will pop and show you know about fashion.
• Kenneth Cole Reaction Launch Party Loafers: http://rstyle.me/hczip6cypw ($48)
• Steve Madden Reston Loafers: http://rstyle.me/h7qb88cypw ($60)
6. No, your socks don’t need to match your pants. While this is true on some occasions, these past few seasons have been all about eye-catching socks. Stripes, bright colors, and patterned socks can be great when worn with the appropriate outfit.
• Happy Socks AR11 Argyle Socks: http://rstyle.me/hexp6dcypw ($12)
• FALLEN Trademark Mens Socks: http://rstyle.me/h8bcukcypw ($7)
• STANCE Plasticism Low Mens Socks: http://rstyle.me/h2637ucypw ($7)